According to a Sept. 1 update, Canada’s York Region Public Health has found that Mr. Right brand Keampferia Galanga Powder was implicated in the illnesses of 12 individuals who tested positive for aconite toxin.
Most of the 12 patients who experienced symptoms after consuming food from the restaurant on the evening of Sunday, Aug. 28 have recovered and are no longer in the hospital. Several were severely ill, but their condition is improving. In the latest update, only one remains in the hospital.
On Sept. 1, Ka Wing Hong issued a recall of Mr. Right brand Keampferia Galanga Powder (sand ginger powder) because of aconitine contamination.
The toxin, aconitine, comes from the roots of a plant, Monkshood, also known as Wolfsbane, or Keampfeira, which is a poisonous plant.
Food contaminated with aconitine may not look or smell spoiled but can still make you sick. Symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, dizziness, weakness, irregular heartbeats, and in severe cases, death. The onset of symptoms is rapid.
The recalled product has been sold in Canada in Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec and may have been distributed in other provinces and territories.
|Mr. Right||Keampferia Galanga PowderProduct code AT154||454 g||69 892102 8038||CAAJ13|
Consumers, restaurants and retailers should check to see if you have recalled products. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) advises the public not to consume, serve, use, sell or distribute the recalled products. Recalled products should be thrown out or returned to the location where they were purchased.
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)